1. You can always count on black. From your suit to your shoes, all the way down to your socks, pack black. It's slimming. It matches everything. It transitions easily from day to night. Throw in one or two solid neutrals that go with everything.
2. Rolling your clothes will help prevent them from wrinkling. You'll also be surprised how much space you save by rolling, rather than folding your clothes.
3. Multi-task. Find things that double as containers for other items that are difficult to pack. Pill boxes become easy storage for rings and earrings. Contact cases become travel size portions of foundation and eye cream. Sunglass cases become organizers for wires and cords.
4. When in doubt, leave it out, no matter what it is.
5. If you can get away with not taking a checked bag, great!
6. Wear your heaviest pair of shoes and your bulkiest jacket on the plane to save space.
7. Double down. Use a two-sided suitcase. This is especially helpful if your trip is doubling as both business and pleasure. You can use each side for different purposes (business on the left, party on the right).
8. When packing accessories and jewellery, set them between two sheets of plastic wrap. This will prevent them from tangling during travel, and keep delicate necklaces from turning into a giant chain knot. Better yet, leave the jewellery at home!
9. Use a roller bag on four spinner wheels. This is the easiest for steering through a crowded airport and it requires the least amount of effort on your part. Carryon wheel bags that allow you to attach a laptop bag or purse also make your life easier at the airport. However, these are often not practical on a coach tour as storage space is often limited on coaches.
10. To prevent liquids from spilling onto your clothes, place them in a zip lock bag.
11. Prepare a survival kit with often used survival items like medicines, band aids and a snack. Never, ever pack your medications in your checked bag, if you absolutely need one. Keep them close by, in your carry on luggage.
12. Food and drinks at the airport are outrageously expensive. Pack filling snacks like almonds, power bars or dried fruit. These are also handy to have available throughout your journey. Never know when you’ll appreciate a familiar snack!
13. Take less clothes than what you think you need.